A compare-and-contrast essay might seem like the easiest type of paper to write: just find things that are alike and then find things that are different. Piece of cake, right? There’s a catch, however. It is up to you to argue why those similarities and differences matter; otherwise, you don’t have much of a paper. The following 8 easy steps will guide you through the process of writing an effective compare-and-contrast essay that actually has something valuable to say.
1) So they’re alike and they’re different. So what? A good paper will not simply offer a summary of themes, characters, or plot. Your job is to think about how these comparisons and contrasts create meaningful connections to a larger issue.
2) Create an effective thesis statement. Again, you need to say why the comparison and contrast is worthy of note. Let’s say you want to compare and contrast the heroines of Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. Your thesis might be this: “Although Elizabeth Bennet and Jane Eyre are very different on the outside, their shared internal values connects them in literary history and in the fight for women’s rights.” Now you have a reason for your efforts and a compelling case for your audience’s attention.
3) Select a pattern. There are two ways you can write a compare-and-contrast paper. You can present your arguments in a "tandem" pattern or an "alternating" pattern.
Ends up with her man,
and all is well
Ends up with her man,
but only after trauma
Once you have your list, the body of your paper will address everything you have discovered about one character, then everything about the other character.
4) How to decide on a pattern. While there is no rule about selecting one method over another, for longer papers (those that exceed five or six pages) you should probably go with the alternating pattern. It is hard for the reader to retain all the pertinent information about each side of your argument in lengthier discussions. For shorter papers, the tandem pattern will probably be the best bet.
5) Support with primary text. Support your analysis by providing primary textual support; in this case, the primary sources are the novels Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. For each point you address, whether in a tandem or an alternating pattern, offer textual evidence for your positions either by directly quoting from the text or by paraphrasing. Be sure to properly cite each quote or paraphrase in whatever format your instructor requests (e.g. MLA, Chicago, etc.).
6) Support with secondary sources, if required. Some instructors may ask that you use sources other than the text itself to support your argument. A secondary source is anyone other than the original author. Use secondary sources to provide additional backing for your thesis, especially in arguing for why the compare-and-contrast approach you have selected is valid.
7) Include your own voice. One of the biggest challenges for a writer is to offer his or her own take on a topic. You may feel that everyone else has already said everything there is to say about your subject. Don’t be discouraged! Your own interpretation is what is most valuable in the end.
8) Review. Revise. Repeat. Compare-and-contrast essays can often become convoluted if a tight check is not kept on your writing. Review your work often to make sure you have not suffered the sins of summarizing plot, soapboxing, or wandering pointlessly in the literary woods. Move or delete text if you have to: don’t keep trying to pound a piece into the puzzle if it clearly doesn’t fit.Start your free trial with eNotes to access more than 30,000 study guides. Get help with any book. Essay Lab Homework Help Questions The introduction is the first impression that the reader has of the rest of the essay. A well formulated introduction will entice the reader to read on. It serves as a road map for the rest of.
Jealousy is a major theme in Othello and it is what drives Othello to commit his heinous deed of killing Desdemona. Othello claims to be a man who "loved not wisely, but too well;of one not easily.
The compare and contrast essay topics for college should be simple and persuasive, because you need to show the readers the similarities and differences in these essay. Compare and contrast essay topics should have two points of view which will be compared and contrasted. This essay should start by learning one problem, and then the other, and after that you need to show how these two problems are similar and different. You need to present the similarities and differences in the logical manner. If you have a chance to choose the topic for a compare and contrast essay it is a very good, because you can think which topic will be the most interesting and can force the readers to read the essay to the end. We are often faced with a large number of comparisons in all spheres of human life. The main goal of the compare and contrast essay is to pick something interesting and unique for it. If you really want to make your essay interesting and absorbing for others persons. You can choose such essay topics as portable computers vs. personal computers, fast food vs. wholesome food, books vs. magazines, Twitter vs. Facebook, cats vs. dogs, comedies vs. tragicomedies, inner beauty vs. physical beauty, rich vs. poor and so on. These compare and contrast essay topics are actual nowadays.
Good persuasive essay topics for you.
The topics for an argumentative essay is a very important in your work. You must be a good judge in the chosen problem, because you need capture the reader’s attention from the first words. In order to write a good persuasive argumentative essay you must have strong and compelling arguments according to the chosen essay topic. Your own views have to be supported by arguments. Often, the students are very hard to select the topics for their essays.
BEWARE! Most companies in the academic writing industry DO NOT offer a specific Money Back Guarantee. They often tend not keep their promise to return your money if you are not satisfied with the order. At EssaysTopic.us, we want you to FEEL SAFE when placing your order!
They begin to search a correct solution in such cases. If you need to select the easy compare and contrast essay topics or argumentative essay topics, you can ask us to help you. We have a perfect list with a good persuasive essay topics for you. Our writers can choose the best variant of the essay topic and write the essay for you. Our writers are professionals in different fields. Your works will be exciting. Our company knows the interests of the readers, no matter who it will be – your friend or teacher.
You will not be sorry that you trust our company!
This type of essay is basically a composition, which is concentrated on two points. The compare and contrast essay reveals the differences and the similarities of these two points, things, situations, etc. The main task of any writer is to find as many similarities and a difference, as it is possible.How to write a compare and contrast essay?
In order to write a professional compare and contrast essay it is necessary to remember that it is vital to identify the points of comparison. This is a major requirement because without this proper identification the essay will not have a correct logical form. To make a detailed compare and contrast essay the first step is to point out the key aspects and do a research on the topic including articles and books.
The compare and contrast essay has a rather simple structure but nevertheless it is important to specify its contents:
Introduction (Introduction is used to choose what will be compared and contrasted and to identify the major lines of comparison. The introduction must be very bright as it is supposed to catch the attention of the reader and make the rest of the essay appealing to the reader. One of the main secrets of any successful compare and contrast essay introduction is adding a surprising fact or an anecdote on the topic of discussion).
Conclusion (Conclusion is used to summarize the key similarities and differences of the two analyzed things. Word for word restatements should be avoided. The reader is not supposed to feel any doubt in the compare and contrast essay perspective on the topic).Compare and Contrast Essay Examples
This site also includes compare and contrast essay examples for you convenience. Each sample of compare and contrast essay provided by custom-essays.org is absolutely free.
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
February 20th, 2010
Have you been thinking of some compare and contrast essay topics . You can stop worrying now for we will give you some options to undertake. We all know that writing an essay is not an easy thing to do. And it is not even easier to come up with a good topic for your essay. As our commitment to providing our clients and visitors with great ideas, we will list down a few interesting compare and contrast essay topics .
Before we proceed, you should take note of the following tips. When choosing a topic for any types of essays from math essay to opinion essay. you should always make sure that the subject is important, relevant to the readers, feasible, has many resource materials and interesting.
Here is a short list of possible compare and contrast essay topics :
Comparing and contrasting the era of the 1800s and the 1900.
Comparing Nokia and Ericsson mobile phones.
Comparing and contrasting the dial up internet connections and broadband internet services.
Writing about the benefits and disadvantages between taking a college course.
Looking for some similarities and differences between the governments of Australia and the UK.
Understanding the differences between Greek and Roman civilizations.
Comparing and Contrasting the notions of eating less and exercising more for weight reduction.
More compare and contrast essay topics can be found in our essay samples. Why not download a copy today? For more assistance, you may simply request a paper today. We have been offering essay writing services to our visitors and they are really affordable.
Compare and contrast the northern and southern United States between 1800 and 1850. Write three or four paragraphs about the similarities and the differences between the two regions. Your essay should include discussions of the economy, social structure, daily life, and social attitudes. In your concluding paragraph, predict how society and attitudes will develop in the West. Which region would the West be more likely to side with on important issues?Now keep in mind i don't want anyone to write it for me, i just need some simple compare and contrast ideas that i could write about, theres the obvious ones like slavery, but what else?Similar Asks:
If you want to write on one of the compare contrast essay topics you have to know how to compare things (to show the common parts of different things) and to contrast something (to find the differences of the things. We are using the principles of compare and contrast every day in our life (for example, when we decide what food to eat or what theatre to visit).
It’s very easy to write on one of the compare and contrast topics – you are doing these operations every day. Just imagine objects, things and events you have to compare or contrast in general. You have to describe all points together (not separately); try to think about things you are comparing and contrasting more abstractedly.
It’s great to make the list of all similar characteristics that chosen things share. Describe their common features and then write down another list with all different parts these things possess.
There are two ways of compare and contrast essay writing – one of them situational. In this way you have to compare and contrast something in some certain situation and you have to disclose it by comparing and contrasting things and objects in this situation.10 Examples of popular Compare and Contrast Essay Topics:
Find suitable writer:
*Note. If you have any topic suggestions, share your ideas with others by leaving blog comments with your topic. We will instantly add interesting ones to the list.One Response to “COMPARE AND CONTRAST ESSAY TOPICS”
November 14th, 2010 at 1:51 am # holly maxwell
It would be great.
Explore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare app Get the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
Continue to the mobile site »
Double tap to zoom outCompare and contrast essay topics
Share this SlideShare
LinkedIn Corporation © 2016
The compare and contrast essay reveals the differences and the similarities of these two points, things, situations, etc. The main task of any writer is to find as many similarities and a difference, as it is possible. If you hesitate either on choosing the essay topic or the idea for Compare and contrast essay please feel free to contact us and we gladly help you any time you need assistance. How to write a compare and contrast essay? In order to write a professional compare and contrast essay it is necessary to remember that it is vital to identify the points of comparison.
This is a major requirement because without this proper identification the essay will not have a correct logical form. To make a detailed compare and contrast essay the first step is to point out the key aspects and do a research on the topic including articles and books. Compare and Contrast Essay Topics, compare and contrast essays can be written on many different topics which base on comparison of two or more subjects, theories, personalities, events etc. Delicate approach to the choice of a topic or keen understanding of the one topic is the key element of good essay writing. Body. Each of the compared points has to be presented in a separate paragraph or if it is necessary in two paragraphs. When all the compared points are revealed to the reader the writer is suggested to put analyze them one more time together in order to put in one solid comprehension of the essay.
Conclusion (Conclusion is used to summarize the key similarities and differences of the two analyzed things. Word for word restatements should be avoided. The reader is not supposed to feel any doubt in the compare and contrast essay perspective on the topic).Interesting Popular
RSS Feed Powered by Wordpress 2010 - 2015